Restore free transportation for all
school-age students in Philadelphia
Every day, tens of thousands of Philadelphia students - public, private and parochial - ride yellow school buses or receive free transpasses to ensure that they get to school safely and without cost. In an effort to save $38.5 million, the School District of Philadelphia has announced it will eliminate free transportation for all public, private and parochial students beginning in September 2011. Here's what that costs hardworking families in a city where one out of three children lives below poverty level:
- One child roundtrip without transfers = $558 per year
- One child with a transfer = $918 per year
- A family with three children and one transfer = over $2,700 a year!
- Families without cars and with children too young to ride the transit system alone would see their costs multiply even more.
New York City and Portland, OR provide their students with free transportation. If we're committed to quality education, we must maintain a free and accessible transportation system for all school-aged children.
Why should the city pay?
- Because the city contribution to the public schools hasn't significantly changed since 2007;
- Because communities fought to improve the District's share of property tax revenue in 2007, and last year City Hall reduced that share from 60% to 55% - a difference of almost $60 million;
- Because a targeted use of increased city funds makes sense for parents and fiscal watchdogs;
- Because we can't fight for more funding in Harrisburg without the City showing its investment in its own schools.
- Because if anyone deserves a free ride, it's thousands of school aged children in Philadelphia who need a free and safe ride to school!
Sign the petition here!
LOBBY DAY IN CITY HALL
Mon., May 23rd, 12-2 p.m.
Meet near the northeast elevators on the 3rd floor.
Contact us here if you plan to attend!
CITY COUNCIL HEARINGS ON SCHOOL BUDGET
May 25th, 1-3 p.m.: Public Testimony
Call 215-686-3407 to register and testify
CALL YOUR COUNCIL REP TODAY!
Chair Jannie Blackwell: 215-686-3418
Vice-Chair Blondell Reynolds Brown: 215-686-3438
Councilwoman Maria Quinones Sanchez: 215-686-3448
Councilman Wilson Goode Jr.: 215-686-3414
Councilman Frank DiCicco: 215-686-3458
Councilman Frank Rizzo: 215-686-3440
Councilman William Greenlee: 215-686-3446
Councilman Brian O'Neill: 215-686-3422
Councilwoman Anna Verna: 215-686-3412
Councilman Bill Green: 215-686-3420
Councilman Curtis Jones Jr.: 215-686-3416
Councilwoman Marian Tasco: 215-686-3454
Councilman Darrell Clarke: 215-686-3442
Councilman James Kenney: 215-686-3450
Councilwoman Donna Reed Miller: 215-686-3424
Councilwoman Joan Krajewski: 215-686-3444
Councilman Jack Kelly: 215-686-3452
Sign the petition to restore free transportation here!
Our kids deserve a free ride -
Restore free transportation for all students!